I have been unsuccessfully trying to blog for a while. For months, my mind has just been an empty goo of blank. I’d blame it on writer’s block but that wouldn’t entirely be true. The truth is, I have just been lazy. And busy with my 9 to 5. In addition, my hosting expired, sometime after my last post, at a time when I was flat ass broke. Consequently, the blog has pretty much been offline throughout the last quarter of the year. When I finally paid for the hosting, I was informed that my domain was in redemption, whatever that means, and as such, it could not be renewed. Talk about misfortune!
2017 has pretty much been a mix of highs and lows, same as every year past. Only difference is, 2017 brought me more highs and fewer lows. Now, I am not going to go into all that I have grown, I have loved and lost, I am bigger and better cliche bullshit. I am just gonna say, without being vague and verbose, that this year has been absolutely amazing for me. I got a great job right after graduation, moved out of my sister’s place (God bless her generous soul), I can now afford to eat at fancy places once in a while (chuckle), I am in an amazing, ever-growing, ever-evolving, God-guided relationship…I am thankful because I have everything I asked God for, two years ago in a journal I recently just unearthed, when I was rearranging my house.
Now, as I type this, thirty minutes before the start of a new year, I am looking back and I am very energized to do more next year. And because I can be a lazy bum sometimes, with completely no regard for plans and goals, I am going to list down a few guidelines for myself (and anyone who can relate) to live by in 2018. You know, a public commitment so that it’ll be hard for me (again, and anyone who can relate) to back out or sit on my laurels and utterly waste my 2018.
1. Take time to grow your spiritual life. God is the sole reason why you are alive and why you’ve come this far. Take time to read your Bible, meditate on His word and pray.
2. Save as much as you can. Invest as soon as you can. Cut down on unnecessary spending and impulse buying.
3. Find alternative sources of income. Your 9 to 5 is good but you’ll need to find another source of extra income if you want to be great. Could be your hobby, a night job, whatever. Just do it.
4. Drink more water this year.
5. Try to eat a little healthy. Let go of the junk food. Exercise regularly.
6. Travel to a place you’ve never been to before. It will be worth it.
7. Be real. Don’t tell people you’ll call them when you know you won’t. Don’t try to lick people’s asses just so they like you.
8. Check up on your family regularly. Your parents especially. They might not say it, but they appreciate it when you do.
9. Put your best foot forward at work. Work as though you are working for the Lord.
10. You have a life beyond your work. It’s who you really are. Build up that life.
11. If you are a creative who’s lost their mojo (like me), work at getting it back. Write even when you have nothing to say. Vlog even when there is nothing interesting going on. Just keep trying.
12. Read more. Books build empires. Books keep your mind alert. Books are creative goldmines.
13. Better yourself this year. Learn a new craft. Take a free course online. Get that Masters degree. Pay for those piano/guitar lessons.
14. Keep constantly building your relationship. With your man, your girl, your dad, your daughter, your supervisor, your friends. It takes conscious effort to make a relationship evolve and be better.
15. Reward yourself once in a while. With that pair of shoes you’ve been eyeing. With a meal at a fancy restaurant. With a new home appliance. Appreciate yourself a little more.
16. Let it go. The fake friendships, the grudges, the work problems, the stress, the worry, the anxiety.
17. Trust the process. If it’s meant to happen it will happen. Be patient. Be strong. Be alert and wise.
18. Carpe Diem. Carpe Diem.
Happy 2018 folks!